This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Creamy Boursin Chicken is a rich and decadent one-pan dish that is ready in just about 30 minutes! Pan-fried, seasoned chicken is smothered in a delicious sauce made with cream, parmesan cheese and Boursin cheese. Serve over mashed potatoes for an incredible dinner and major crowd-pleaser!
If you love this restaurant-quality dish, you’re sure to enjoy these other amazing creamy chicken recipes! Try this creamy Tuscan garlic chicken, creamy chicken marsala and oh-so flavorful creamy garlic parmesan mushroom chicken next.
What is Boursin Chicken?
With the first bite of this Boursin Chicken, my family was obsessed! This recipe is so easy to make, yet it tastes like something from a restaurant. Once the chicken is seasoned and seared in a pan, whip together an irresistible sauce with butter, minced shallot, broth, heavy cream, parmesan and Boursin cheese. Add the chicken back to the pan, then serve over mashed potatoes to soak up all that wonderful sauce. So good!
If you’ve never cooked with Boursin cheese, now’s the time to start. It really elevates a simple chicken skillet into an incredible dinner! Boursin cheese is a soft, creamy cheese available in a variety of flavors, with a texture somewhat similar to cream cheese. We used the original flavor for this recipe, but the Garlic and Herbs Boursin cheese would be delicious, too! Add this recipe to your weeknight menu very soon. You’re going to love it!
Most of the ingredients needed to make this Boursin chicken recipe are basics that you probably already have on hand. They come together with little effort to create one of our best chicken recipes! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements.
- Olive Oil: For cooking the chicken.
- Chicken: You’ll need 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Cut or lightly pound them into thinner pieces so they cook evenly.
- Garlic Powder: Adds a lovely, savory garlic flavor to the chicken and sauce.
- Italian Seasoning: Make your own dried Italian seasoning to add a blend of delicious herbs.
- Salt & Pepper: To intensify and bring all of the flavors together.
- Butter: For cooking the shallot and adding richness to the cream sauce.
- Shallot: Milder and sweeter than regular yellow or white onions, minced shallot works great in this recipe not to overwhelm the other flavors.
- Chicken Broth: Adds flavor to the sauce and also ensures the consistency is just right.
- Heavy Cream: The slightly sweet and creamy base of the sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese: Use freshly grated cheese from a block, if possible, to give the sauce the best smooth texture.
- Boursin Cheese: Makes the sauce perfectly rich, creamy and flavorful. You’re going to love this addition for making cream sauce!
- Herbs: For added freshness and color, garnish the finished dish with fresh parsley and thyme.
How to Make Boursin Chicken
This is a great meal to make whether it’s a busy weeknight or you’re serving guests. It’s one that’s so easy to make, yet is sure to impress. The taste is absolutely incredible, you will want to add it to your normal menu rotation!
- Prep Chicken: Cut or lightly pound the chicken breasts into thinner pieces so they cook evenly. Season both sides of the breasts with the garlic powder, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper.
- Cook Chicken: Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and cook for about 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through and no longer pink. Transfer the chicken to a plate, then set aside.
- Sauté the Scallions: Returning to the skillet, add the butter and scallions and sauté until softened.
- Start the Cream Sauce: Add the chicken broth and the Boursin cheese to the skillet. Stir and melt the cheese until you have a creamy sauce.
- Finish the Sauce: Pour in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Whisk and allow the sauce to heat through and thicken. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add the Chicken to the Sauce: Add the chicken back into the skillet and let it warm through for a couple of minutes.
- Serve: Season with salt & pepper if needed and serve over mashed potatoes.
Tips and Variations
Creamy Boursin Chicken is one of our new favorite family dinners. We enjoyed this served over mashed potatoes to complete the meal. You’re sure to fall in love with the mouth-watering flavors and versatility of this dish just as much as we did! Here’s some tips and ways to change it up:
- Serve it with Pasta: You can serve this chicken with so many things! Try your favorite pasta, instant pot mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
- Add Veggies: Freshly steamed veggies or a light salad are great sides to add freshness to the meal.
- Protein: Swap out the chicken for salmon or shrimp. The cheesy cream sauce will pair perfectly with these meats as well and give you some variety in your proteins. However, it’s important to note that the cook time will vary when using different proteins.
- Chicken Doneness: To ensure your chicken is completely cooked and safe to eat, look for the juices to run clear. You want your chicken cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer to be sure you have perfectly cooked chicken.
- Use Fresh Cheese (From a Block): For the best flavor and most creamy sauce, we recommend using freshly grated parmesan cheese. Pre-shredded cheeses are coated with preservatives that keep them from melting as smoothly.
You are going to love having this Boursin chicken for leftovers! It’s flavorful and delicious, so you can double the recipe for meal prep and quick lunches.
- In the Refrigerator: Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- In the Freezer: You can freeze your leftovers in a plastic bag or sealable container for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat: Reheat leftovers in the microwave until warmed through. Add a splash of chicken broth or cream to add moisture if desired.
Pin this now to find it later
Cut or lightly pound the chicken breasts into thinner pieces so they cook evenly. Season both sides of the breasts with the garlic powder, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper.
Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and cook for about 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through and no longer pink. Transfer the chicken to a plate then set aside.
Returning to the skillet, add the butter and scallions and sauté until softened.
Add the chicken broth and the Boursin cheese to the skillet. Stir and melt the cheese until you have a creamy sauce.
Pour in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Whisk and allow the sauce to heat through and thicken. This will take about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken back into the skillet and let it warm through for a couple of minutes.
Season with salt & pepper if needed and serve over mashed potatoes.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 372kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 30gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 605mgPotassium: 502mgFiber: 0.4gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 756IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 188mgIron: 1mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.