This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This breakfast frittata is filled with chunks of sausage, slices of mushrooms and sweet tomatoes making this a breakfast everyone will love. So simple to make and full of so much flavor!
Frittatas are so fun to make and are filling for a nice breakfast or brunch. Readers have loved my ham and cheddar zucchini frittata that is just as filling and delicious to enjoy in the morning. You’ll have to try both!
Sausage and Mushroom Frittata
Breakfast just got better with this sausage and mushroom frittata. I have to say, this dish is the perfect blend of savory and hearty. It’s one of our family favorite breakfasts or great enjoyer later for brunch! The nice thing is, it’s a complete meal and will keep you feeling satisfied throughout the day. Add some fruit to the side and bam, breakfast magic.
(If you’re not already convinced,) cooking this sausage mushroom frittata in a skillet makes an easy meal plus less of a mess. In about 30 minutes you will have one delicious skillet frittata that looks and tastes amazing! Your family will be raving over this simple dish that is comfort food at its best. Perfect for any busy morning and the best way to start your day!
What is a Frittata?
A Frittata is an Italian dish that is similar to an omelette or quiche. ‘Frittata’ means fried in Italian. It has an egg base with a variation of meats, cheese and vegetables mixed in. The variations and add ins are endless. So easy and so delicious!
Sausage and Mushroom Frittata Ingredients
Like an omelet, this breakfast frittata is super easy to customize. This is what I added in, but feel free to switch things up and add all of your favorite mix-ins! (Measurements are in the recipe card below.)
- Sausage: Ground breakfast sausage cooks down and acts as the main protein in the dish.
- Mushrooms: Cut into slices and cook up in the skillet to add earthy, meaty goodness to the breakfast frittata.
- Spinach: Start your day off with some delicious greens!
- Cherry Tomatoes: So the frittata has bits of juicy goodness throughout.
- Green Onion: Always a favorite mix-in for a hint of flavor and texture.
- Eggs: Whisked up smoothly and added over the mix-ins.
- Heavy Cream: Mix with the eggs to make them thick, rich and creamy.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Shredded to melt evenly in the sausage and mushroom frittata.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste!
How to Make a Frittata
This sausage and mushroom breakfast frittata comes together in 4 simple steps. It’s a great breakfast switch-up and is always so delicious! My family loves this all-in-one meal and it keeps everyone full and satisfied throughout the day.
- Preheat Oven, Cook the Sausage: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium-sized skillet add the ground sausage. Sauté and crumble until cooked throughout. Then remove and set aside on a plate.
- Add Vegetables to Skillet: Add the mushrooms and sauté for 1-2 minutes and then cook the spinach until it starts to wilt. Add cherry tomatoes and green onions and then transfer the sausage back to the mixture.
- Egg Mixture: In a medium bowl combine eggs, heavy cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Then pour on top of the sausage and vegetables.
- Bake: Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is golden brown and egg mixture is set.
- Meat: Try adding your favorite ground meat. Beef or pork is best but chicken or turkey will also work as a leaner option.
- Cheese: Try spicy pepper jack cheese or something more mellow like Swiss or cheddar to switch up the flavor!
- Vegetables: Broccoli, bell peppers or cabbage add color, crunch, and flavor to your frittata.
- Seasonings: Add a dash of paprika or Italian seasoning to your egg mixture!
Storing Leftover Breakfast Frittata
Have extras? Keep them! This sausage and mushroom frittata is great for storing and enjoying later. Wrap your pan with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container. Then it will stay good for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can also freeze your frittata for up to 2-3 months.
Reheat individual slices in the microwave, or the entire frittata in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pin this now to find it later
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sized skillet add the ground sausage. Sauté and crumble until cooked throughout. Remove and set aside on a plate.
Add the mushrooms and sauté for 1-2 minutes and then add the spinach until it starts to wilt. Add cherry tomatoes and green onions and add the sausage back to the mixture.
In a medium bowl combine eggs, heavy cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour on top of the sausage and vegetables. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is golden brown and egg mixture is set.
Updated on December 27, 2023
Calories: 210kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 12gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 205mgSodium: 255mgPotassium: 274mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1378IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 117mgIron: 1mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.