This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Flavorful Quiche Lorraine is a classic French breakfast recipe. It’s a simple, yet incredible combination of bacon, shallots, creamy egg custard and cheese, all baked in a flaky pie crust. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or any meal of the day!
I love a good savory brunch dish, and quiche is my favorite! You can make them ahead of time and they’re super satisfying. Try this tasty Ham and Cheese Quiche, this simple, yet delicious Asparagus Quiche, or this Cheesy Zucchini Quiche next!
Quiche Lorraine Recipe
Quiche Lorraine is one of the best savory breakfast recipes! It’s easy to transport to a breakfast or brunch gathering, and it’s a total crowd pleaser. Everyone will love the richly flavored, creamy filling over a buttery, flaky pie crust. Plus, it looks elegant and impressive, but it’s actually so easy to put together!
We love to enjoy this on a lazy weekend with a simple fruit salad. However, it also makes an amazing addition to your holiday brunch spread, whether it’s for Easter, Mother’s Day or Christmas brunch! Serve it alongside something sweet like these delicious overnight cinnamon rolls, baked French toast, or monkey bread muffins.
What’s in Quiche Lorraine?
You only need a handful of simple ingredients for this Quiche Lorraine recipe. You probably already have most of them ready to go in your kitchen! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Pie Crust: I typically use a store-bought pie crust for convenience.
- Bacon: A classic ingredient in Quiche Lorraine! You’ll need 6 slices, fried nice and crispy.
- Shallot: Milder and sweeter than regular yellow or white onions, shallot works great in this recipe not to overwhelm the other flavors.
- Eggs: 4 large eggs for the base of the filling.
- Half and half: You can easily make this at home with this recipe or use store-bought.
- Kosher Salt & Pepper: To bring out all of the delicious flavors.
- Nutmeg: Optional, but a small amount brings out the savoriness of the other ingredients.
- Gruyere Cheese: The most popular choice in this specific quiche recipe. Shred your own for the best flavor!
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated parmesan cheese adds extra cheesiness and a lovely taste.
How to Make Quiche Lorraine
This easy quiche recipe is simple to prep. Once you cook the bacon and sauté the shallot, the rest of the time is spent cooking in the oven! Your whole family will go crazy over this breakfast!
- Blind Bake the Crust: Prepare and then blind-bake the pie crust. Follow my post, it’s very informative!
- Heat the Oven: Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bacon: Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until crispy and golden brown then set aside.
- Sauté the Shallot: Returning to the same skillet, add the minced shallot and sauté until tender.
- Egg Mixture: In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Assemble: To assemble the quiche, place the cooked bacon pieces, shallots, and shredded Gruyere and parmesan cheese on top of the pie crust.
- Add the Egg Mixture: Pour the egg mixture over the bacon, shallots, and cheese.
- Bake: Carefully place the pie in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the quiche is cooked through.
- Rest and Serve: Remove the quiche lorraine from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before enjoying it!
Tips for Making Quiche
Here are a few tips that I’ve learned over the years when making quiche. Hopefully, they help you out too!
- Homemade Pie Crust: If you want to make your crust from scratch, you totally can! Use this recipe, it’s my grandma’s, and it is perfect!
- Blind Baking the Crust: Whether you choose to use a homemade crust or a store-bought crust, this recipe uses the technique of “blind baking”, which simply means partially baking the pie crust before adding the filling. This ensures the crust doesn’t get soggy, but instead stays buttery and flaky, even on the bottom.
- Variations: Although, not traditional, feel free to add up to 1/2 cup of any fresh veggies you desire! Some great options are diced bell pepper, chopped spinach, sliced mushrooms, chopped broccoli, etc.
- Don’t Over-bake: If your quiche is browning on the edges but the middle still isn’t cooked through, then add a pie crust shield or some foil around the outer edge of the crust.
- Garnish: So your quiche lorraine has a nice presentation, you can add a sprinkle of sliced green onion or freshly chopped herbs like thyme or parsley.
How to Store Leftovers
Quiche Lorraine, like most quiche recipes, tastes just as good, if not better the next day! You can even make it ahead of time and freeze it for later!
- In the Refrigerator: Once the quiche has cooled, cover it with foil and put it in your fridge. It will keep fresh for 2-3 days.
- In the Freezer: Wrap the cooled quiche in plastic wrap and foil. Label it with the date and it will stay good in your freezer for 3-4 months.
- To Reheat: Let the frozen quiche thaw in the fridge overnight. Then when you are ready to eat it, cook it at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Pin this now to find it later
Prepare and blind-bake the pie crust. Follow my post, it’s very informative!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until crispy and golden brown then set aside.
Returning to the same skillet, add the minced shallot and sauté until tender.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
To assemble the quiche, place the cooked bacon pieces, shallots, and shredded Gruyere and parmesan cheese on top of the pie crust.
Pour the egg mixture over the bacon, shallots, and cheese.
Carefully place the pie in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the quiche is cooked through.
Remove from the oven and allow the quiche to sit for 5 minutes before enjoying it!
Serving: 1servingCalories: 449kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 19gFat: 34gSaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0.04gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 776mgPotassium: 221mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 610IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 370mgIron: 2mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.