This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Start your day off with this delicious Savory Oatmeal! It’s easy to make, customizable, and is a hearty breakfast that will fill you right up!
This breakfast recipe is great for anyone who loves oatmeal but also craves a savory breakfast. Here are some of my other favorite savory breakfast options: breakfast bowls, these huevos rancheros, or this quiche.
Savory Oatmeal Recipe
If you’ve never tried savory oatmeal, you’re in for a real treat, especially if you prefer a savory breakfast. Just think of it like a buddha bowl, where the oats are the grain, the protein is from the chicken sausage and egg, and healthy fats are from the avocado. Not to mention, there is plenty of flavor from the juicy bursts of tomato and fresh arugula!
One of the best parts about enjoying oatmeal for breakfast is that it’s completely customizable, and this savory oatmeal is no different. Replace the chicken sausage with bacon, or omit the meat for a vegetarian meal. Cook your egg scrambled, fried, or hard-boiled, and feel free to add other vegetables, herbs, and seasonings. A drizzle of homemade salsa would also be a delicious finish!
The ingredients needed for this savory oatmeal recipe are easy to prep, common, and ones that you probably have on hand. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Rolled Oats: I prefer using old-fashioned rolled oats for this recipe, but you can also use steel-cut oats or even quick oats, although the texture and cooking time will be different.
- Cooking Liquid: Low-sodium chicken broth or water works great. I typically use chicken broth for extra flavor.
- Chicken Sausage: Use any breakfast sausage that you like. You can even make homemade sausage patties. I like to opt for a healthy chicken sausage variety.
- Egg: Top your bowl with an egg (or two) sunny-side up or however you like your eggs!
- Arugula: I prefer to use arugula, but you can also use kale or spinach.
- Avocado: Fresh sliced avocado on top adds creaminess and delicious flavor!
- Cherry Tomatoes: The sweet, juicy bites add a nice contrast and a beautiful color to the recipe!
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: I love to sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over the top for garnish.
How to Make Savory Oatmeal
Follow these simple steps for a well-balanced, hearty morning meal you’ll want to enjoy on repeat.
- Start the Oats Cooking: In a small pot, combine the oats and chicken broth over medium-high heat.
- Simmer the Oats: Once it comes to a low boil, reduce the heat and let simmer until it reaches your desired thickness. Stir occasionally until the oats are cooked through and creamy.
- Transfer Oatmeal to a Bowl: Remove the pot from the heat and then pour the oatmeal into a bowl.
- Cook and Prep Other Ingredients: To prepare the toppings, cook the egg how you desire. Heat the chicken sausage in the air fryer or according to package instructions. Slice your tomatoes and avocado.
- Build Your Bowl: To assemble the bowl, layer your egg, sausage, tomatoes, avocado, and arugula on top of the oatmeal.
- Serve: Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips to keep in mind so your savory oatmeal breakfast is fabulous every time you make it! I’ve also included some substitutions so you can make use of ingredients you already have on hand!
- Stir Occasionally: Be sure to stir enough so the oatmeal doesn’t burn on the bottom of your pan, but don’t over-mix! Stirring too frequently can make your oatmeal sticky.
- Switch Up the Meat: Use any meat you like in place of the sausage. Sausage patties, bacon or Canadian bacon would all be delicious in this recipe!
- Use Different Veggies: The options are endless on all the many veggies that would work great in this bowl. I especially love adding a variety of bell peppers.
- Toppings: Get creative with the toppings! Guacamole would be so delicious! Make it spicy with jalapeños or cheesy with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top.
How to Store Leftovers
This recipe is for one bowl of savory oatmeal, but feel free to double or triple it and have breakfast ready to go throughout the week. You’ll just want to be sure to store all of the ingredients separately and then assemble your bowl before eating. For maximum freshness, I recommend prepping the egg, sausage, tomatoes, and avocado just before serving!
- In the Refrigerator: Your homemade oatmeal can be stored for up to one week in an airtight container.
- Reheating: In a microwave-safe bowl, add a serving of oatmeal and pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir after one minute to make sure that it’s warmed through.
Pin this now to find it later
In a small pot, combine the oats and chicken broth over medium-high heat.
Once it comes to a low boil, reduce the heat and let simmer until it reaches your desired thickness. Stir occasionally until the oats are cooked through and creamy.
Remove the pot from the heat and pour the oatmeal into a bowl.
To prepare the toppings, cook the egg how you desire. Heat the chicken sausage in the air fryer or according to package instructions. Slice your tomatoes and avocado.
To assemble the bowl, layer your egg, sausage, tomatoes, avocado, and arugula on top of the oatmeal.
Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and enjoy!
Serving: 1servingCalories: 602kcalCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 32gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 246mgSodium: 1026mgPotassium: 1006mgFiber: 11gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1018IUVitamin C: 20mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 5mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.